LOGAN farmers hard hit by floods can now apply for up to $25,000 to help with recovery efforts.
The dollars are part of the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangement’s category C funding deal, which attracted attention last week after a stoush between state and federal government about approval hold-ups.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten visited Logan to urge the federal government to do more to help flood-ravaged primary producers but his visit came amid claims the state government had not submitted the funding’s required paperwork.
The funds were released by acting Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce late last week.
Agriculture Minister Bill Byrne said the approval was granted in response to reports which suggested a $35 million impact on the horticulture sector and fisheries at Logan, the Scenic Rim and parts of the Gold Coast.
“For many producers this is the second or even third time they have been hit by flooding in recent years,” he said.
“Our struggling producers have a big clean up and recovery job ahead so I’m grateful that our request for Category C funding was activated by the acting prime minister.”Agriculture Minister Bill Byrne
“Our struggling producers have a big clean up and recovery job ahead so I’m grateful that our request for Category C funding was activated by the acting prime minister.”
Logan City mayor Luke Smith said about 44 Logan businesses were inundated and the garden market sector wiped out by ex-tropical cyclone Debbie.
Cr Smith, who met with Mr Shorten and Rankin MP Jim Chambers on April 12 to tour flooded properties, said the economy had struggled as politics were played-out.