A WONGAWALLAN girl in grade one demonstrated maturity beyond her years when she called triple zero to save her baby brother who was choking over dinner.
The Lloyd family was eating dinner on Friday, November 29, when eight-month-old baby boy Oscar struggled to swallow his mashed vegetables.
Kenneth Lloyd, who is the father of Zoe, 5, and Oscar, and works as an operating theatre nurse, said he quickly realised something was wrong.
"I put him on his side and put him on his chest and couldn't get it out," he said.
"I put my finger down and scooped it out from there.
"Zoe asked me if I wanted her to call the ambulance and I said: "yes please darling".
"I didn't hear most of the call but it was nice to hear how calm she was on the phone."
While the details of Zoe's triple zero phone call were fuzzy, it is understood that she explained to the operator that her little brother Oscar was choking, her dad was trying to help him and they needed more assistance.
Mr Lloyd said it was vital to teach kids from an early age how to deal with potential emergencies. "Given the rural area we live in, we have pushed the issue of child safety," he said.
"In case she gets lost in a shopping centre or somewhere else (Zoe) needs to know her name, address and mum and dad's phone number.
"She was really good under pressure, I don't imagine a lot of kids would be .... she was very worried about her brother.
"She is such a lovely daughter and so compassionate. Even if someone is crying at school she always goes over to check on them and take them to teacher."
Tamborine Mountain paramedic Gary O'Brien, who was part of the ambulance team to come to Oscar's aid, said Zoe did a fantastic job.
Oscar was examined at hospital for four hours and released back to normal the following day.