LOCAL riders fared well in the South-East Queensland zone two Showjumping Championships at Tamborine Pony Club last month.
The event was contested by a field of about 75 riders, aged from 10 to 25.
South-east Queensland riders from suburbs including Tamborine, Greenbank, Jimboomba, Oxenford, Nerang, Tallebudgera, Mudgeeraba and Southport contested the championship.
Other competitors traveled from as far as Toowoomba and the Central Queensland town of Moura to contest the competition.
Overall winners were decided based on their performance in AM5, AM7 and Super two Phase competitions.
Riders were judged on their ability to navigate courses while minimising horse disobedience.
Tamborine Pony Club secretary Melinda Hughes said riders lost points when a horse stopped, circles the fence, runs past the line of the fence or knocking rails when jumping.
Ariana Sing (under 10) from Jimboomba, Kate Scott (under 26) from Greenbank, Fuschia Criss (under 26) from Tamborine, Kristin Allum (under 26) from Greenbank and Morgan Brown (under 26) from Tamborine were among riders who placed in the top three of their age groups.
Ms Hughes said the Showjumping Championships provided an opportunity to encourage and nurture younger riders. "The courses, designed by the coursebuilders...were varied and presented a challenge," she said.
"It was also good to see some younger, inexperienced unofficial riders competing and gaining experience and confidence.
"It is heartening to see the progression of some junior riders in less than one year at the Tamborine Pony Club."
Ms Hughes identified 18-year-old Tamborine Pony Club riders Morgan Brown and Comanche Vines as rising stars.
- Under 10, under 60cm: Tom Sturgeon (first), Hayden Taylor (second), Arianna Sing (third)
- Under 12, under 70cm: Asha Post (first), River Johnson (second), Shani Massignani (third)
- Under 12, under 80cm: Lucy Colless (first), Olivia Soergaard (second), Sophie Shaffer (third)
- Under 26, 70cm: Kate Scott (first), Fuschia Criss (second), Anatasia Topalov (third)
- Under 26, 80cm: Sarah Weiss (first), Evelyn Williamson (second), Kristin Allum (third)
- Under 26, 90cm: Zali Young (first), Fuschia Criss (second), Madelins Sawyer-Clayton (third)
- Under 26, 1m-1.1m: Zali Young (first), Ellie Harvey (second), Morgan Brown (third)