A BEAUDESERT toddler has lived to celebrate his second birthday thanks to the swift action of paramedics and nurses on the Australia Day public holiday.
Two-year-old boy Sebastian, whose last name is not permitted to be released, was 16 months old when he almost choked to death after swallowing a grape at his grandparents social gathering at Park Ridge on January 26 this year.
Grandmother Edith said she knew something was wrong when she noticed Sebastian could not stop coughing.
“I grabbed him and tapped him on the back but the grape wouldn’t come out and I called for help,” she said.
“There were nurses there who could help before the paramedics arrived. That was lifesaving.
“It is important for people to know how to do first aid and watch their kids like a hawk.”
The family attended a reunion at the Sunnybank Hills Ambulance Station on Monday, October 8 with paramedics Paul Gray, Shane Mattingley, Sarah Dunk and Cameron Butt to thank them for saving Sebastian’s life.
Advanced care paramedic Shane Mattingley recalled the high pressure situation the paramedics confronted.
“It was quite a chaotic scene, there were a large number of people there for an Australia Day event,” he said.
“There was (Sebastian) on the floor, he was unconscious and not breathing…it was pretty scary to be honest.”
“It certainly gets the adrenaline running and it is not something we do very often.”
Sebastian’s mother Mirjam said it was important for people to learn lessons from the scary experience.
“Make sure your CPR knowledge is up to date and cut up fruit around young children,” she said.
“I am thankful for the ambulance drivers, they do an amazing job and are just fantastic.”
The family presented gifts to the paramedics for their heroic actions.