Asbestos found at heritage listed school house on Logan Village green

LOGAN City Council will remove and replace asbestos flooring discovered at the old Logan Village school house on Logan Village Green.

HISTORY: The heritage listed original Logan Village school house.

HISTORY: The heritage listed original Logan Village school house.

Coralyn Cowin, curator of the Logan Village Museum, which is also a part of the pioneer village, said she had postponed a cent auction that was to raise funds for farmers drought relief after the council discovered asbestos in an upstairs patio early in the week. A new date will be set.

“There was a hole in the floor. Council workers came to have look and they found asbestos. That’s all I know,” she said.

Cr Laurie Koranski said she asked council officers to investigate after learning of the incident for the first time today, October 3, mid-afternoon but she would not be surprised to learn asbestos had been found in an old building. 

“It happens and there are processes in place to deal with that,” she said.

Ms Cowin said she had already received a phone call from the council saying workmen would be out to deal with the issue sometime between October 15 and 21.

“So that’s good news,” she said.

Ms Cowin said the heritage-listed building – the original Logan Village school house – was used by community groups six days a week.

“Obviously there’s the public health aspect to consider. We know they (the council) will fix things right. They always do.

“There’s been a bit of work out here recently. They’ve removed some elsenite in the roof of Pioneer Hall. It was letting the sun in to ruin our collection. And they concreted the floor in the old dance building.”

A council spokesperson said council officers regularly checked old buildings and kept the council’s asbestos register updated in terms of what works had been carried out there.

“In this instance, asbestos was found in the flooring and that is scheduled for replacement later this month. The council have actively engaged with the community centre in that regard,” the spokesperson said.