After a tough year, devastating news came through to Nic Brown’s phone on the afternoon of June 27.
His home, the house he and his wife had bought the year they married, was engulfed in flames.
Fortunately his wife and their 17-month-old daughter Layla escaped the blaze unhurt.
The fire started in the kitchen when a pot of oil Ms Brown had been heating on the gas stove caught alight while she was tending to their daughter.
Mr Brown raced back from his workplace in Stapylton to check on his family after receiving the phone call from his distressed wife.
Seven fire crews battled the house fire, which burnt from 2.20pm until 4.30pm.
Hopefully we don’t have any bad luck left- Nic Brown
Almost nothing was able to be salvaged.
“It’s only stuff,” Mr Brown said.
“But you know, Layla’s birth presents, our family photos and wedding gifts from my nan who is no longer with us, that’s all gone.”
The Browns bought the property in 2012, and as it was their first family home, Mr Brown had put a lot of hard work, money and love into renovating the kitchen and bathroom himself.
“When I bought the place it was just a house on a paddock,” he said.
“Our insurance company has been really good. They paid out some money the very next day and inspectors have all come out this week.
“Luckily it was all paid up.
“Hopefully, we don’t have any bad luck left.”
The Browns will now have to rebuild their home, and Mr Brown said their neighbours on Chadwick Drive had been very supportive.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.